Emergency and Critical Care (ECC)
Our new ECC service provides outstanding care to patients when they need it most. Our dedicated ECC team is available to support and advise referring veterinary surgeons on all acute, emergency and critical cases. All calls will be passed directly to our ECC service so you will be able to speak directly to a specially-trained ECC clinician. They will be happy to give advice and help arrange prompt referral if needed.
The ECC team will undertake rapid triage and provide emergency care tailored to the needs of each patient. Critical patients will then be cared for in our brand new purpose-built intensive care unit (ICU) which is equipped with the most advanced care facilities available.
The ECC team will work with other Specialists from across the hospital to provide the best possible multi-disciplinary care. The new ICU will ensure the highest-level intensive care is given to critically ill, injured, and post-surgical patients 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. This means we can respond immediately to any emergency incidents and deal with even the most complex and difficult cases.
The ECC team is led by Dr David Mackenzie BSc(Hons) MA VetMB PhD CertVC CertAVP(SAM) CertAVP(ECC) PgCert(VPrS) MRCVS, and is supported by three dedicated ECC clinicians and six dedicated ECC specially-trained nurses.
Advanced clinical services and facilities include:
- Management of all types of emergencies - medical, cardiac or surgical
- State-of-the-art facilities within a dedicated purpose-built intensive care unit, with 24-hour veterinary and nursing care
- Specialist teams in soft tissue surgery, orthopaedics, medicine, anaesthesia, neurology and cardiology
- One-to-one nursing for the most critically ill patients
- Mechanical ventilation support for patients with respiratory compromise
- Transfusion medicine with a full range of blood and blood products available on-site, including in-house blood typing and crossmatching
- Dedicated point-of-care and in-house laboratories including clotting and blood gas analysis
- Advanced intensive care monitoring
- Crash kit with defibrillator
- Advanced diagnostic imaging including ultrasound, radiography, CT and fluoroscopy
For advice on any critical or emergency case, or to make a referral, call 01793 528341