Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease Referrals - The Hamlet Study
Specialist Cardiologist Andrew Francis is involved in The Hamlet Study, a clinical study involving patients with Mitral Valve Disease. He is looking for cases with Mitral Valve Disease to be part of this study. Suitable referred cases will receive additional free of charge diagnostic tests as part of the study.
Cases to be included (need to meet all criteria):
- Dogs that are 6 years of age or older Dogs weighing between 2 kg and 25 kg (4.4 and 55 lbs)
- Dogs with a left apical systolic murmur with maximum intensity over the mitral valve
Dogs are excluded from the study if they meet any of the following criteria:
- They have clear radiographic, historical or physical examination signs consistent with congestive heart failure
- They are receiving diuretic medication
- Another significant systemic disease is already known to be present which may interfere with echocardiographic measurements obtained or be expected to affect biomarker concentrations
What costs will be covered?
The study covers the costs of full blood profiles but does not cover the costs of any of the routine diagnostic tests such as echocardiography and the consultation. Consequently, owners will need to fund the costs of the other tests, which are estimated to be between £600 - £700.